Our Congregation . . .
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church of Yucaipa was started as a preaching station in the area in 1957. The first worship services were held in the Women’s Club commencing in January of that same year. Land was purchased in 1962 where we now have our beautiful sanctuary, fellowship hall, and classrooms.
Good Shepherd is a member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, an association of more than 2.6 million members. Each individual congregation strives to walk together in a common confession with all the other congregations within the Missouri Synod (syn=same, od=path), cooperating with them to share the saving work of Jesus Christ for a world of sinners.
Our Faith . . .
The 66 books of the Holy Bible are the source for what we believe, teach, and declare publicly and privately; God’s error-free Word. We also subscribe publicly and privately to the Book of Concord, published in 1580, as the genuine testimony and declaration of the Holy Bible. We believe:
- There is only one God and He is three persons; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (AC I)
- Humans were created perfect by God but lost this perfection through disobedience. (AC II)
- God loves us in spite of our rebellion so He sent His uncreated Son Jesus Christ, who is 100% God and 100% human, to pay the price for the disobedience of everyone. (AC III)
- We cannot do anything to earn our salvation. It is God’s free gift to us through faith in Jesus Christ. (AC IV)
- We teach that the Holy Spirit brings this faith to us when we hear the Word (AC V). That includes:
- Preaching (2 Timothy 4:1-5)
- Baptism – Our rebellion is buried and we are raised with Jesus in this gift for all people, young and old. (Romans 6:3-5; Colossians 2:11-12)
- The Lord’s Supper – We taste the body and blood of Jesus which is also bread and wine and therefore we taste forgiveness. (Matthew 26:26-28) Those who commune stand with us in the common confession which our church body teaches. (1 Corinthians 10:16-17)
Our Pastor . . .
Pastor Jaime (pronounced HAI-may) Nava was born and raised in Orange, California. He transferred to Concordia University – Irvine to finish his last two years of undergraduate work with a B.A. in Theological Studies. While at Concordia he met Kelly and they were married in 2005. They moved soon after to St. Louis where Pastor Nava began his studies at the seminary. Their third year there, they took advantage of a rare opportunity to study abroad at a sister seminary; Westfield House in Cambridge, England. By the grace of God, in July, 2011, Pastor Nava was called to serve Good Shepherd. In September of 2012 his family was extended by one. Zoey was born and was warmly welcomed as a new sister, daughter, and grand-daughter by everyone at Good Shepherd.